US EUROPE AFRICA ASIA 中文
World / Asia-Pacific

Two missing Singaporeans confirmed dead in Malaysia's Sabah quake

(Xinhua) Updated: 2015-06-10 14:24

SINGAPORE -- Two missing Singaporeans were confirmed to have been killed at Mount Kinabalu in an earthquake in Malaysia last week, Singapore's Ministry of Education said on Wednesday.

Six students and one teacher from Tanjong Katong Primary School in Singapore, as well as one Singaporean adventure guide, were confirmed dead on Sunday. The death toll of Singaporeans in the 5. 9-magnitude quake that jolted Malaysia's eastern Sabah state on June 5 has increased to 10.

The ministry said that "they were saddened to inform" the news and next-of-kin of the two Singaporeans have been informed. Their remains will return to Singapore upon completion of further forensic tests.

The ministry will continue to provide support to the families during this difficult time, it added.

Singapore would like to express deep appreciation to the Royal Malaysia Police, Malaysian Armed Forces and other authorities for their support and assistance to search and rescue the Singaporean students and teachers.

Most Popular
Hot Topics

...