China / News from across China

Awards to be given for poverty alleviation

By Chen Mengwei ( Updated: 2016-09-21 16:11

Despite tightening regulations on national awards, the Chinese government has approved another top-level honor to encourage people to fight poverty.

Starting this year, the State Council Leading Group Office of Poverty Alleviation and Development will hold an annual ceremony for the National Awards for Poverty Alleviation. The first round of prizes, which are

The National Awards for Poverty Alleviation have four categories, including the Award for Striving, the Award for Contribution, the Award for Dedication and the Award for Innovation. Each award may have no more than 10 recipients.

More than 1,100 recommendations were submitted to a reviewing panel of 61 experts from different fields. After initial reviews, 60 candidates made it to the second stage. The public are invited to cast their votes for their favorite nominees, and their votes will account for 40 percent of the final decision, while the remaining 60 percent will depend on panel votes. About 40 people are expected to receive awards on Oct 17, according to Xia Gengsheng, director of human resources at the State Council Leading Group Office of Poverty Alleviation and Development.

The Award for Striving is granted to those who have lifted themselves out of poverty and those who have led individuals or groups out of poverty.

The Award for Contribution is granted to government at all levels, state-owned enterprises, public institutions, armies and armed police forces, democratic parties, federations of industry and commerce, and people’s organizations that have conducted significant poverty-alleviation work.

The Award for Dedication is granted to social organizations, private enterprises and individuals who have been dedicated to poverty alleviation.

The Award for Innovation is granted to those who have been innovative in their approach to poverty alleviation and brought important changes.

Since the 18th National Congress of the Communist Party of China, the CPC Central Committee, with President Xi Jinping as general secretary, has prioritize development-oriented poverty alleviation, with an aim of building a moderately prosperous society and accomplishing the first “Centennial Goal”.

Poverty alleviation has been incorporated into the country’s overall development plan and the “Four Comprehensives” blueprint.

Hot Topics