- Language Tips
RIO DE JANEIRO - World football's governing body FIFA has asked Brazil's government to provide security guarantees amid fears that sweeping civil unrest could pose a threat to the Confederations Cup.
Less than a day after widespread rioting in Brazil's biggest cities, FIFA secretary-general Jerome Valcke denied speculation the tournament, considered a 2014 World Cup warmup event, could be aborted.
"We have asked for security measures that we need in place for the competition to continue until the end," Valcke told Estado de S. Paulo.
"I hope that this doesn't last until 2014. It's a problem that Brazil needs to resolve, not FIFA. We are the wrong target."
The protests, which started in Sao Paulo last week over rises in transport fares, have morphed into a nationwide movement against government corruption and the cost of the World Cup.
More than a million demonstrators marched through Brazil's biggest cities on Thursday, with many participants calling for fans to boycott the World Cup.
Police fired rubber bullets and tear gas as protestors attempted to enter the foreign ministry in Brasilia while violent clashes were also reported in Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.
When asked if FIFA had considered a backup plan in case the unrest escalated, Valcke replied: "The Confederations Cup is taking place in Brazil and the World Cup will be here too. We are going to guarantee that it will take place in the best way possible. There's no plan B."
The events of the past week prompted President Dilma Rousseff to hold an emergency cabinet meeting in Brasilia on Friday. Local media reported that she had told sports minister Aldo Rebelo to ensure all of FIFA's security demands were met.
Meanwhile the Italian football federation released a statement denying reports the squad was considering abandoning the tournament.
The federation's vice-president, Demetrio Albertini, described the rumors as an "invention".
"We are not even analyzing the hypothesis of leaving the Confederations Cup," Albertini said.