China / Society

Probe finds electrical fault caused Shangri-la fire

(Xinhua) Updated: 2014-01-13 21:34

KUNMING - A fire in an ancient town in Shangri-la, a resort county in southwest China's Yunnan Province, on Saturday was caused by an electrical fault, local authorities said on Monday.

The blaze broke out in Ruyi Inn in Dukezong Ancient Town after an electrical fault set a curtain on fire, according to the result of a preliminary investigation.

The "careless use of electricity" by the inn manager surnamed Tang led to the electrical fault, a spokesman with the fire-fighting and disaster-relief headquarters said.

More than 240 houses were damaged and another 43 had to be dismantled.

Apart from the houses, shops and infrastructure facilities, the fire damaged cultural relics, Tibetan thangka and other Tibetan art.

A further investigation is still underway.

Hot Topics