USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文双语Français
World
Home / World / Africa

Rwanda renews call for urgent military action against rebels

Agencies | Updated: 2015-01-03 17:50

KIGALI - The Rwandan government has renewed calls for urgent military action against rebels known as FDLR based in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo).

The call was made Friday night following the expiry of a six- month deadline given to FDLR to voluntarily surrender and disarm.

In July last year, the rebels were given six months to surrender voluntarily or face military action at a meeting of foreign affairs ministers of member states of International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR) and Southern African Development Community (SADC).

The decision was further backed by the UN Security Council, which authorized the UN Force Intervention Brigade (FIB) in DR Congo, to conduct military offensive.

In a statement, the Government of Rwanda said the FDLR had taken full advantage of the six months period to expand and consolidate its military and political organization with the aim to further destabilize Rwanda and the region.

"The Government of Rwanda reiterates its call to the Government of Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and the United Nations Mission in Congo (MONUSCO) to abide by their regional and international obligations, notably UNSC Resolutions 2147 (2014) Resolution 2098 (2013) both of which authorize offensive operations through the FIB either unilaterally or with FARDC (Congolese forces)," the statement said.

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
BACK TO THE TOP
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US