USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文双语Français
World
Home / World / Africa

DR Congo confirms two Ebola deaths

Xinhua | Updated: 2014-08-25 10:13

DR Congo confirms two Ebola deaths
Ebola cases in West Africa rises to 2,240
KINSHASA - The Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) confirmed on Sunday two Ebola deaths in the central African country's northern region.

"Two cases of Ebola virus are recorded in Djera," a remote region in the northwest province of Equateur, said Health Minister Felix Kabange Numbi on national television.

He said two out of eight cases tested positive for Ebola in an unidentified fever outbreak that killed 13 people this month in Equateur province.

The minister said the epidemic was contained in the region of Djera, and urged the local population to remain calm.

He also said the two cases detected in the region were not related to the epidemic in West Africa that has killed more than 1, 400 people.

"This epidemic has nothing to do with the one in West Africa," said the health minister.

Djera, which lies more than 1,200 kilometers from the capital Kinshasa, is the same region where the World Health Organization said Thursday 70 people were killed in an outbreak that it said was not Ebola-related.

The world's first Ebola case was detected in northern DR Congo in 1976. With Sunday's confirmation of new cases, it was the seventh outbreak of Ebola in DR Congo since then.

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
BACK TO THE TOP
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US