Olympic preview on Day Three: Clash of the Olympic diving titans
Updated: 2012-07-30 15:34:43
By Lee Hannon (chinadaily.com.cn)
China will continue its run on the diving gold medals today as Team GB's Olympic poster boy Tom Daley will battle world champion Qiu Bo in the men's 10m synchronized platform medal final at 10 pm Monday evening.
Huge hype is already building surrounding what is likely to be the biggest medal event of the day as Daley faces huge pressure from China's dream diving team.
Qiu, 19, who won two gold medals at last year's world championships, will partner Lin Yue in the 10m synchronized platform and take on the challenges of Daley and Matthew Mitcham in the individual platform.
The 2011 FINA male diver of the year says his greatest headache is meeting his own exacting standards, rather than worrying about his rivals. Daley, who relinquished his world title to Qiu last year, likened the Chinese diving star to a "robot".
Their event comes just one day after China's Wu Minxia and He Zi scored 346.20 points to win the women's 3m synchronized diving gold medal at the Olympic Games on Sunday.
File Photos of British diver Tom daley and Chinese diver Qiu Bo.
More highlight on Day Three's medal projections:
* China will also battle for gold in the women's artistic gymnastics team final held at the North Greenwich Arena at 11:30 pm.
* Chinese shooters Yi Siling and Yu Dan will also be going for gold in the final of women's 10m air rifle final at 7 pm.
* China's Fu Yuanhui and Zhao Jing will compete in the women's 100m backstroke final. While Sun Yang will be hoping for his second gold victory of US rival Ryan Lochte in the men's 200m freestyle final.
* China's Cheng Feiyi will also be hoping to keep China's lead in the medal table by beating Liam Tancock of the US and and Japan's Irie Ryosuke in the men's 100m backstroke final.
* Other medal events today include weightlifting, swimming, fencing and judo.