USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文双语Français
China
Home / China / National affairs

China resolutely opposes US provocation in South China Sea: spokesperson

Xinhua | Updated: 2017-08-11 20:36

BEIJING -- Chinese Defense Ministry strongly objects to the illegal entry of a US warship into China's waters off the Nansha Islands, said a ministry spokesperson Friday.

Wu Qian said in a statement that missile frigates Huaibei and Fushun of the Chinese Navy were immediately sent to identify the US warship, warn and expel it.

The USS John S. McCain illegally entered the waters near the reef in South China Sea earlier on Thursday. China has sovereignty of the Nansha Islands and its adjacent waters.

The US military forces intrusion under the guise of "freedom of navigation" will intensify regional militarization and may result in maritime or air accidents, said Wu.

"Such provocation will only drive China to improve its defense capacity," Wu added.

Chinese Foreign Ministry also protested US activity on Thursday.

Related story:

US destroyer in South China Sea violated law, harmed security

 
Editor's picks
BACK TO THE TOP
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US