Probe urged over Chinese businessman murdered in Angola
Updated: 2011-10-25 09:25
LUANDA - Chinese embassy in Angola on Monday urged the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Ludana police to adopt quick actions to probe into the killing of a Chinese businessman who was shot dead by an unknown gunman Sunday morning in Luanda.
The victim, identified as Lou Yongzhen from China's Zhejiang Province, was stopped and shot dead at about 10:00 am when he was driving at a small lane of the Benfeca district in southern Luanda. The gunman fled from the scene after the shooting.
Chinese Ambassador to Angola Gao Kexiang offered his condolences during a meeting with relatives and colleagues of Lou, who had been working with a small Chinese construction company in the capital city before he died in the apparent robbery attempt.
Zhang Yan, an official with the Chinese embassy in charge of consular affairs, made phone calls to the CID of Luanda police and demanded quick and immediate action by police to probe into the event and capture the assassin, and to beef up security of Chinese workers in Luanda and the rest of the country.
Lou was the latest casualties of crimes against Chinese workers and businessmen in Angola this year, which had claimed at least five Chinese lives in armed robberies and burglaries, Zhang Yan told Xinhua in an interview.
China has played an important role in the reconstruction process of Angola since its civil war ended in 2002.
Xu Ning, Chairman of the Chinese Businessmen Association in Luanda, told Xinhua that the security situation in Luanda began to worsen since the latter part of 2009, when Angola began to feel the pinch of the international financial crisis.
Xu Ning said the crime waves were not specifically targeted at Chinese expatriates, but apparently highlighted because of the huge number of Chinese workers in Angola.