USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文双语Français
World
Home / World / Europe

New info in Diana's death

China Daily/Agencies | Updated: 2013-08-19 07:39

New info in Diana's death

Diana, Princess of Wales, visits the Footscray Park in a suburb of Melbourne, Australia, in January 1988. [Photo/Agencies]

British police said on Saturday they were assessing new information about the deaths of Princess Diana and her friend Dodi al Fayed in a Paris road crash in 1997.

HEADLINE: Prince Harry 'irritated'

Britain's Prince Harry has a "bee in his bonnet" about some countries' failure to remove landmines in Africa, the chief of The Halo Trust mine clearance organization said on Sunday.

Harry, 28, recently returned from Angola, where he saw mine clearance projects run by the trust.

The work was championed by his late mother Diana, princess of Wales.

"He is irritated about the countries that supplied these landmines not actually putting in any funds to clear them 25 years later," said Guy Willoughby, HALO's chief executive.

"He has got quite a bee in his bonnet about that."

Harry, fourth in line to the British throne, toured minefields remaining from Angola's brutal 1975-2002 civil war and the remote southern town of Cuito Cuanavale, believed to be the most densely mined town in Africa.

Diana, a vocal campaigner against the use of landmines, visited Angola with HALO in 1997.

Harry is a patron of the trust's 25th anniversary appeal.

AFP

London's Metropolitan Police did not elaborate on the information, or its source, but Britain's Sky news television station said it had come from the parents-in-law of a former soldier and had been passed on by the Royal Military Police.

Sky said it understood the new information included an allegation that the deaths of Diana, Dodi and their driver were caused by a member of the British military.

A royal family spokeswoman said there would be no comment.

The Metropolitan Police said in a statement that it was assessing the "relevance and credibility" of information into the deaths that it had recently received.

"This is not a re-investigation and does not come under Operation Paget," it said, referring to an investigation by a former head of the Metropolitan police, John Stevens.

Diana and Dodi and their chauffeur were killed when their car crashed in a road tunnel while being pursued by photographers after the couple left the Ritz hotel in Paris on Aug 31, 1997.

The untimely death of Diana, who divorced heir-to-the-throne Prince Charles in 1996, sparked an outpouring of public grief that culminated in huge crowds lining the streets of London for her funeral.

Dodi's father, Mohammed al Fayed, the former owner of Harrods department store, alleged that the couple had been killed on the orders of the British establishment.

Stevens concluded there was no evidence of murder and said that driver Henri Paul had been drunk and was going too fast. A 2008 inquest in London returned a verdict of unlawful killing and said Paul and the photographers were to blame for the deaths.

Investigators in France have also dismissed allegations of murder, and in 2008 Mohammed al Fayed announced he was abandoning his 10-year campaign to prove the couple were killed, for the sake of Diana's sons William and Harry.

He said he had reservations about the outcome of the inquest but had had enough: "I am leaving the rest for God to get my revenge."

Previous 1 2 3 Next

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
BACK TO THE TOP
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US