Libya willing to cooperate in Lockerbie case

Updated: 2011-09-29 08:55

(Xinhua)

  Comments() Print Mail Large Medium  Small 分享按钮 0

TRIPOLI - The ruling authorities of Libya is willing to cooperate in the investigation on the 1988 Lockerbie bombing, the interim government's Justice Minister Mohammed al- Allagi said Wednesday.

At a press conference in the capital of Tripoli, the justice official of the ruling National Transitional Council (NTC) said that, if there are other suspects found, Libya would cooperate to re-launch investigation into the case in accordance with international laws.

The bombing, one of the notorious in history, cost about 270 civilian lives on a plane over the Lockerbie town of Scotland in December 1988.

Libyan national Abdel Basset al-Megrahi was the sole convict in the case, and was imprisoned in Scotland before he was released on compassionate grounds in 2009.

The appearance of new suspects would prove misjudgments for al- Megrahi, al-Allagi said, adding that then compensation should be given.

Al-Allagi said Monday that al-Megrahi would not be brought to trial again as the whole legal process for him had already concluded, following Britain's recent demand for assistance from Libya's new rulers to re-open the Lockerbie investigation.