Xi's statements on the Belt and Road Initiative
President Xi Jinping proposed the Belt and Road Initiative in 2013. The Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st-Century Maritime Silk Road initiative aims to create a trade and infrastructure network connecting Asia with Europe and Africa along ancient trade routes.
Since then, more than 100 countries and international organizations have backed the initiative, with more than 40 signing cooperation agreements with China.
In May, China will host a Belt and Road forum for international cooperation in Beijing. Let's look back at some of the important comments Xi has made on the initiative in the last three years.
Proposing an 'economic belt along the Silk Road'
President Xi Jinping delivers the historic speech at the Nazarbayev University in Astana, Kazakhstan, Sept 7, 2013. [Photo/Xinhua]
To create the new economic belt, Xi suggested China and Central Asian countries accelerate policy communication, improve road connectivity, promote unimpeded trade, enhance monetary circulation and enhance understanding.
- Swiss president to attend Belt and Road forum in Beijing
- Putin confirms he'll attend Beijing's Belt and Road Forum
- Countdown to Belt and Road forum, China aims high for shared prosperity
- Belt and Road initiative provides strong support for UN 2030 goals
- Belt and Road 'huge opportunity' for China, world: Experts
- State Council appoints, removes officials
- 70 pct of Chinese buy new cellphones every two years: survey
- 14 provincial-level officials punished by discipline watchdogs in Q1
- 3 confirmed dead in NW China landslide
- How Xi's internet remark changed ordinary people's lives