China sets up expert panel for food, cosmetics safety
Updated: 2011-11-03 22:41
BEIJING - China established the Expert Committee for Healthcare, Food and Cosmetics Safety under the State Food and Drug Administration (SFDA) on Thursday to provide technical consultation and suggestions for policymakers.
The committee consists of a 35-member food safety expert subcommittee, which includes a special board for technical standardization and a special board for risk assessment. Another subcommittee on cosmetics safety consists of 37 members.
China still has a long way to go in supervising and managing its healthcare, food and cosmetics industries, according to Bian Zhenjia, a SFDA deputy director.
The industries have been plagued by exaggerated advertising and the illegal use of additives, Bian said, adding that the creation of the committee will help enhance risk assessment in the industries specified.
- Hu urges efforts to promote financial stability
- More grassroots delegates for CPC
- Concerns over social security scheme
- China urges support for Afghanistan
- Greek PM under pressure to quit
- China to build manned space station around 2020
- Hu attends G20 summit in Cannes
- China's imports, exports exceed $3t