Fire in downtown Beijing, no casualties
Updated: 2011-12-15 18:22
BEIJING - No casualties was reported in a fire that broke out near a high-rise complex in Beijing's downtown Xizhimen area Thursday afternoon, local fire fighters said.
The fire at a construction site near the three-tower shopping and office complex named Xihuan Plaza was put out at about 3:34 pm, 16 minutes after the fire brigade received alarms, according to the Beijing fire brigade.
Witnesses said the fire broke out at about 3:15 pm.
The shopping center at the complex had people inside evacuated shortly after the fire. By 4:50 pm, all staff workers from the center returned to their posts.
Heavy smoke, caused by polyfoam, shrouded one of the three towers though the fire was small, according to the fire brigade.
Smoke billows from a high-rise complex in Beijing's downtown Xizhimen area Thursday afternoon. [Photo/gmw.cn]
- Anti-dumping tariffs on US auto imports 'fair'
- Actor held after 13 years on the run
- China urges ROK to protect embassy
- Year of the Dragon predictions
- ROK officer death 'isolated case'
- Children recall horror of crash
- Japan PM to start delayed China visit
- China to maintain prudent monetary policy in 2012