Russia suspends launch of Proton-M rockets
Updated: 2011-08-23 16:49
MOSCOW - Launches of the Proton-M rocket had been suspended pending the outcome of a probe into a failed satellite orbit, Russian Federal Space Agency Roscosmos said Tuesday.
The suspension puts in doubt the launch of a Proton-M with a military satellite scheduled for August 31 from Kazakhstan's Baikonur space center.
Roscosmos is investigating why an Express-AM4 communications satellite failed to enter its correct orbit after it was launched on a Proton rocket on August 18.
The high-powered satellite was lost hours after the launch due to a malfunction of the Proton rocket.
The Roscosmos said the satellite had been found in an off-design orbit and a joint working group was looking at ways to return it to its designated orbit.
- Live Report: Gadhafi on the run as rebels fight
- More trains slow to improve safety
- Trade balance possible next year
- Time to cement China-Japan ties
- Prosecutor to drop Strauss-Kahn case
- CNPC terminates 6 overseas projects
- Trust is vital for China-Japan ties
- Live Report: Gadhafi's rule 'crumbling' in Libya