Japan's Foreign Minister Taro Aso has said the six-party framework for talks
on ending North Korea's nuclear program should be maintained, adding there was
"no need to hurry" to reach a deal.
Asked if the framework for the
negotiations should be reconsidered after a week of talks ended in deadlock on
Friday, Aso said: "At this stage, there is no better framework than that."
According to Japan's Foreign Minister
Taro Aso, the six-party framework for talks on ending North Korea's
nuclear program should be maintained, adding there was "no need to hurry"
to reach a deal[AFP]
is no need to hurry as sanctions have continued providing pressure, which is
working gradually but firmly," Aso told a television news program.
The talks -- involving the two Koreas, China, Japan, Russia and the United
States -- wrapped up in Beijing after five days of meetings with no progress
made and no date set for another round.
The negotiations snagged on North Korea's refusal to engage in substantive
discussions until Washington lifted financial sanctions imposed last year which
have left millions of dollars of North Korean funds frozen in a Macau bank.
After North Korea's first nuclear test in October, the UN Security Council
slapped wide-ranging weapons-related sanctions on Pyongyang.
While Japan imposed its own tough sanctions including a sweeping ban on all
North Korean imports, Aso said there was no immediate plan to take further
"We have more measures in mind, but we are not in a position to implement new
ones right now," Aso said.
The six nations had resumed the intermittent, three-year-old forum last week
hoping to make real progress toward the denuclearization of the Korean
But following its atom bomb test October 9, an emboldened North Korea
unveiled a long list of demands at the opening of the talks, effectively
scuppering any chance of real progress