The six parties to the Korean Peninsula nuclear talks held a plenary session
Monday morning with the resumption of multilateral talks, stressing to resolve
the nuclear standoff in line with the principle of "action-to-action."
The chief negotiators of the six parties made key-note speeches at the
plenary session, and elaborated their respective stance on implementing the
joint statement adopted by all parties during the fourth round of talks in
September 2005, according to the Chinese Foreign Ministry.
The six delegation heads also put forward relevant proposals and ideas in
Wu Dawei, Chinese chief negotiator and vice foreign minister, said the
September 19 statement gleaned the consensus of all parties, and was a
"political declaration" for the goal of denuclearization as well as a "guiding
document" that should be observed by all parties.
The topic for the second stage of the fifth round of six-party talks on
Monday focused on how to concretely implement the joint statement in line with
the "action-to-action" principle, he said.
The other five chief negotiators expressed appreciation for China's efforts
in resuming the talks.
They also reiterated their pledge to fulfill the commitments made in the
September 19 statement, realize denuclearization through dialogues and peaceful
means, and achieve normalization of diplomatic ties between relevant countries
as well as long-lasting peace in northeast Asia.
The second phase of the fifth round of six-party talks, involving China, the
Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), the United States, the Republic of
Korea (ROK), Japan and Russia, was launched on Monday morning after a stalemate
of 13 months.
Chief negotiators of the six-party talks gathered at the Diaoyutai State
Guesthouse in Beijing, initiating a new round of negotiation on the
denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
They agreed that the hard-won six-party talks should be cherished. The
parties should seize opportunities with specific measures and steps to implement
the September 19 statement in line with the principle of "action-to-action" and
the attitude of facing up to the future.
The six chief negotiators also vowed to strive for "positive progress" out of
the fresh round of talks with "flexible" and "pragmatic" attitude.
Chun Yung Woo, head of the ROK delegation and ROK Assistant Minister of
Foreign Affairs and Trade, told reporters there are "three common points" among
parties concerned during this round of talks, namely to settle the nuclear issue
through peaceful negotiation, to find out a scheme to implement the September 19
statement, and to achieve "substantial" progress in the talks.
Chun told reporters he would have bilateral consultation with the U.S.
delegation on Monday afternoon.
Launched in 2003, the six-party talks have been held for five rounds.
However, the talks had remained stalled since November 2005 after the DPRK
walked out of the negotiation in response to U.S. sanctions.
At the end of last month, chief negotiators of the DPRK, the United States,
the ROK and Japan came to Beijing to join their Chinese counterpart in laying
the groundwork for resuming the talks.