Each year in early March, China's top legislative and political advisory bodies convene their annual meetings, known as the "two sessions". Lawmakers and political advisors across China will arrive in Beijing for the annual gathering.

China Daily invites you to write down your questions or suggestions on the things you care most about in China, like visa regulation, the green card system, taxation, job opportunities, air pollution, the economy etc.

Our reporters will put your questions or suggestions to the deputies of the two sessions. Their response will be recorded and posted on our website.

We welcome and appreciate your participation. Participants whose feedback is used will get a free gift. Please leave a comment below. Thank you again.

User name
I am a Singaporean and my wife is from china. We meet during my internship in Sichuan china. My question to the law makers is that, it is possible that the Chinese government would consider to allow people like me to get a green card in china as I always wanted to work and stay in china. As president Xi emphasize on the one belt one road initiative, I feel that I can contribute and play an important role in bring value to this program. Hope that Chinese government can open up the green card policy and consider for those whose spouse is of Chinese citizenship. Thanks.

My first questions/suggestions would be in regard to visa procurement. I've been here for 5 years and was made to leave for 6 months. Of course, from statistics that I've read, 93% of those who made to 'sit out' for six months, never return. I mean, who can go for six months with no income and, if they've been here for as long as I have, maintain two residences, one in China and another in the USA, for six months?

A suggestion that I would make is, make the Z visa requirement easier on foreigners who come here. I think that most foreign teachers who come to China come because it is in their heart to come here. The pay isn't bad compared to the average Chinese teacher, however, it is extremely low compared to what teachers make in the USA. To make them go through the many, many steps of procuring a Z visa will keep most from not ever considering coming to China. Thus, you get a lot of lower quality or unqualified foreign teachers. I owned a successful private school in America for 15 years. I sold it and retired in 2015. I decided to come to China to help Chinese children learn English. I've been very successful in placing the amazing Chinese students I've taught in schools like Harvard, Princeton, UCLA, University of Chicago and other top 100 schools in America. But, the difficulty and very unclear instructions for the process of getting a Z visa will make any foreign teacher want to go to another country where they are trying to actively attract good quality foreign teachers.

One other suggestion would be, protect loyal and law-abiding foreign teachers here. I was cheated out of two months of pay by a real estate management company. When I went to local police and authorities, I got no help. No one cared. They said, "It's none of our business." In America, those guys would be in prison. It seems in China, they are free to go and cheat more people.

It is too obvious that China must be cautious and selective in choosing the expats who deserve to be offered green cards with their multiple privileges. However, the Chinese government ought to facilitate the process for those who qualify and hold unequivocal interest in being an active participant in the development of the Chinese society with Sincere efforts. 
I hope the Chinese government can simplify visa procedures in the next five years for foreign visitors and businessmen. I hope the government can make efforts to bring more people curious about China and the Chinese culture like me to the country.

As the husband of a Chinese citizen I find it relatively easy to get a visa (residence permit) here lasting 3 years. Conversely, my Chinese wife, a retired surgeon, can only get a 6 month's tourist visa to enter the UK where I was born and am a passport holder. Seemingly the Chinese government is more liberal than the British one in this regard.

That said, I have lived in China for 10 years and you would think that after all this time I could get something a little more permanent as the "green card" is not available to ordinary mortals like me.


Does China intend to be a little more hospitable in extending residency rights to people who have been here for many years, been granted their residentcy rights annually, each time  after an arduous examination of the applicant's merits?

Here is the reason for my question: if you are legally married to a Chinese, you should not have to ask your spouse to formally invite you in writing to live in China. Such a requirement does exist and is followed by the relevant officials.

Also, why can't spouses get a resident's permit for more than one year?

The hukou system must be replaced quickly with more development in second and third tier cities to ensure that the same quality of living comfort is there. Having too many people within a city will only overcrowd and cause social burden and pressure that will ignite unexpected explosion.
Copyright 1995 - 2016 . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349