Home> About Dehong
Administrative divisions
( chinadaily.com.cn )

The Dehong Autonomous Prefecture has under its administration two cities, namely Mangshi city and Ruili city, and three counties, namely Lianghe county, Yingjiang county, and Longchuan county.

Located in the southwest of Dehong, Mangshi city covers an area of 2,987 square kilometers. 74% of the land is in a mountainous area while the other 26% is in a river valley. The Dehong prefectural government is situated in Mangshi, which is 697 kilometers away from Kunming, the capital city of Yunnan Province. Mangshi has five trade gateways along the 68.3 kilometers long border line with Myanmar.

Ruili, situated in the southwest of Dehong, is the most western town in Yunnan province. Surrounded on three sides by Myanmar, Ruili is one of two first-class national border ports in Dehong. Ruili has been thriving off trade with Myanmar since the border opened up in 1990. It used to be an important station on the southern “Silk Road”, and is now the major access of Burmese jades exporting to China. Some predict the town to become the next big destination in Yunnan for travelers.

Located in the northeast of Dehong, Lianghe county covers an area of 1,159 square kilometers. There are various geographic features within the country such as mountains, volcanos, terrace fields, and river valleys. The Yingjiang River and Longjiang River run through the area. The average temperature all year round is about 18℃。

Yingjiang county, situated in the northwest of Dehong, has the longest border with Myanmar of all the three counties. There are 33 border crossings along the 214.6 kilometer long border line. There are 26 ethnic minorities such as Dai, Jingpo, Lisu, Deang, and Achang, which account for 59.7% of Yingjiang’s total population.

Situated in the southwest of Dehong, Longchuan county covers an area of 1,913 square kilometers. Its total population is 180 thousand, of which 120 thousand are engaged in agriculture production. Longchuan has the largest number of Jingpo and Achang people in China. Abundant in sunlight all year round, Longchuan is particularly suitable for growing tropical cash crops such as sugar cane.