Fish on the Bed
- fish about 5 minutes plus overnight rest in fridge
- cooking day – 10-15 minutes
- cooking time: 15-20 minutes
- level: easy
-fish. In Chinese recipes we usually see all fish, but gutted. In this recipeI used chunk of quite big fish, about 200-250 g. I like using big fish, because bones are easy to remove – there is very small risk of choking by fishbone. Cost – about 5 RMB for good quality piece of fish. Available in "wet markets",and department stores (I prefer wet-markets, but it is always up to you).
-green peppers. Little spicy, middle size, but you can use as well red ones,and not spicy at all – as you wish. Available on green-markets and wet-markets,very cheap. Shown quantity costs no more that 2 RMB.
-red peppers. Small red peppers are usually spicy, so are "mine" J. Use as many you like, if you likevery spicy - then 5+, if more delicate – try begin from one. Not as cheap as bigger cousins, but still used quantity matches level of about 1 RMB.
-ginger. Use always fresh, juicy one. Available in every green-market. For all"root" (this is not a root) about 5 RMB, chunk shown on picture is maybe 1/10 of "root".
-garlic. Chinese one. Described before.
-green onion. Described before.
-"five tastes spice" (Wu Xiang Fen). Common spice, available in many corner-stores, and markets of course. Cost – few RMB. You can use any other up to your taste.
fish should be simply washed, and then spiced by minced ginger and WuXiagFen one night in fridge will allow tastes to mix and immerse into the fish.
- prepare "bed of ginger"
scrape-out ginger peel
cut ginger in 2-3 mm thick slices
cut slices into "matches"
crush and chop garlic, add to ginger and put aside
- prepare green peppers
- chop red peppers into small pieces, with seeds, remove only green ends
- chop green onions, diagonally, in small and equal pieces
- heat wok (very hot), add some oil, and fry the fish 10-15 seconds on both sides
- remove fish
- set medium heat
- add chopped ginger and garlic
- put fish on "bed" of ginger and garlic
- on both sides add green pepper, and red one – on the very top
- add 1/4 glass of water
- cover and let it steam for about 10 – 15 minutes, allowing to evaporate all the water, and adding a bit if necessary if evaporate too soon.
- serve with green onions, and a bit of oyster sauce or light soy sauce