The Philippine government confirmed on Tuesday the second case of enterovirus-71 (EV-71) on a five-year-old boy from the northern province of Benguet.
Health Secretary Enrique Ona said that just like the first confirmed case on a one-year-old boy from the southern city of Davao, the second case had no history of travel to Cambodia where over 50 children died due to EV-71 associated with the hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD).
"The patient presented with fever and rashes in the hands, feet, and mouth and is presently recovering at home as no hospitalization was required," he said.
Ona said health officials are now conducting contact tracing to determine the spread of infection.
The National Epidemiology Center reported 43 suspected HFMD cases as of July 21. Laboratory results were available for 42 of these cases. Twenty-one cases, which screened positive for the human enterovirus, were classified as confirmed HFMD cases. Two of these cases further tested positive for EV-71 while 19 were negative.
Of the confirmed HFMD cases, Ona said, 14 were males and aged between from 6 months to 23 years; 12 were less than 5 years old. No deaths were reported.
Ona said so far there are no travel restrictions to and from HFMD affected countries.
"Quarantine officers continue to screen arriving passengers as part of international precautions to prevent the international spread of diseases," he said.