Crowd riots after death of vendor

Updated: 2011-07-27 07:37

By Yang Jun and An Baijie (China Daily)

  Comments() Print Mail Large Medium  Small 分享按钮 0

 Crowd riots after death of vendor

Angry crowds overturned this chengguan vehicle on Nanhua Lu in Anshun city, Guizhou province, on Tuesday afternoon. Provided to China Daily

Anshun, Guizhou - The death of a vendor, who was believed to have been killed by urban management officers in Southwest China's Guizhou province on Tuesday afternoon, caused a gathering of thousands of angry local residents.

The unidentified vendor died in front of the gate of a market at Nanhua Lu, Xixiu district of Anshun city, at about 1:43 pm on Tuesday, which led to the gathering of the local people, according to a statement sent to China Daily from the publicity department of Anshun.

The statement did not give details of the cause of the vendor's death, only saying that "before the incident occurred, chengguan (urban management officers) were working in the area".

According to a video clip uploaded onto the website by an unidentified netizen, a vehicle with the sign "12319" on it, the local phone number of chengguan, was destroyed and turned over in the middle of the road. Many police officers were trying to break up the angry crowd.

The footage also showed a man with a false leg, wearing a brown T-shirt and blue trousers, lying still on a pit cover on the roadside. He was surrounded by a large group of people.

"They grabbed him and beat him," said an onlooker in the footage.

An eyewitness surnamed Jiang told China Daily that the vendor was a disabled fruit seller and people in the angry crowd claimed that "the murderer must be punished".

"It was a total mess," Jiang said. "The people threw stones at the police officers, and my feet were hit by flying rocks."

Armed officers were seen guarding the site to prevent the crowds from getting close to the destroyed vehicle, according to photos circulated on the micro-blog website of

Local officials, including the city's Party chief and the mayor, had arrived at the site and were guiding the work. The incident is still under investigation, according to the statement from Anshun publicity department.

China Daily

(China Daily 07/27/2011 page7)