China Scene: West

(China Daily)
Updated: 2011-01-11 07:56
Large Medium Small

Drunken businessman bites off more than he can chew

A 26-year-old steel products salesman had so much to drink on Wednesday night in Chongqing municipality that he started to chew his cell phone - even going so far as to swallow its SIM card - when police intervened over him being drunk on board a public bus.

Fellow passengers said the man spoke nonsense from his seat, before falling over and acting crazy as the vehicle passed through a roundabout in the city's Shapingba district.

The bus driver reported the incident to the police. When three officers boarded the bus, they found the man in a drunken state, yelling that his belongings were missing.

After they located his cell phone under his seat and passed it to him, he started to bite on the phone and chew its SIM card, forcing the officers to retrieve it from his mouth with their fingers.

Some of his colleagues who were summoned to collect him explained to the police that he had been entertaining clients and had too much to drink.

(Chongqing Evening News)

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned

A woman from Liangping county, Chongqing municipality, was recently sentenced to six years and two months in prison for plotting to have her husband infected with HIV after he sought a divorce.

The woman, a doctor who owns a private clinic, had been married to her husband for more than 20 years and they had two children.

She started to suspect him of carrying on affairs behind her back in 2006 and they began to quarrel frequently. The husband repeatedly filed for divorce, but the court refused to absolve the marriage.

Embittered, the wife sought revenge. In early 2009, she hired three men to attack her husband and stab him in the eyes. He was fortunate that he received prompt treatment and did not go completely blind, though his vision remains impaired.

She then hired an HIV-positive woman to have sexual relations with him and to inject blood contaminated with HIV into his arm. Both plots failed.

Adapting the plan, she used the same woman to target one of his family members. The woman was unsuccessful once again and later made a full confession to the police.

The police caught up with the wife in a rented house in the city's Jiulongpo district. She claimed to be mentally ill, but psychiatric experts confirmed she was not insane and would therefore not be exempt from criminal punishment in the case.

(Procuratorial Daily)

PLA doctor agrees to have organs harvested on death

Li Zhen, 29, a doctor in the People's Liberation Army in Hancheng, Shaanxi province, affixed his signature to an organ donor registration form on Thursday morning, confirming his willingness to have his heart, liver, kidneys and pancreas harvested after his death.

He said he read an article about the need for organ donors in a local newspaper in December and made a phone call to the Red Cross to express his willingness to participate in the program.

"I am not married and have no girlfriend, so I told my parents about my decision and was pleased to receive their support," he said.

As a doctor, Li said he was aware of the urgent need for organs for lifesaving transplant operations and wanted to contribute to the cause.

(Huashang Daily)

Villagers delighted with new residents' plumage

Villagers in Nanyang village in Fuping county, Shaanxi province, are delighted that five swans have recently taken up residence in their village.

Cui Fengyi, 60, who first saw the swans in the local reservoir on Jan 1, said the birds' return to the area after 20 years indicated how much the environment has improved.

According to Zuo Yu, deputy director of the county's environment protection bureau, the birds were driven away by the polluted environment in the area and their return confirmed that environmental protection programs were having a positive effect.

(Huashang Daily)

Defendant faints as judge reads out verdict in court

Lin Shulan, 59, a resident in Lanzhou, capital of Gansu province, fainted in court on Thursday when the verdict in her trial for fraud was announced in the city's intermediate people's court.

Starting in March 2005, Lin posed as an employment recruiter for large companies, which enabled her to cheat 79 clients out of 1.56 million yuan ($236,800).

After being reported to the police, she ran away from the city in June 2007 and has since been listed as a wanted criminal.

The police finally caught up with her in September 2009 in Yunnan province.

Lin's trial finally took place and the court found her guilty of committing fraud. She was sentenced to 15 years imprisonment and fined 200,000 yuan.

(Lanzhou Morning News)

(China Daily 01/11/2011 page7)