China to expand regulation on cosmetic contact lenses
Updated: 2012-01-20 14:19
BEIJING - China will regulate the production and sale of cosmetic colored contact lenses by including them in its list of items classified as "medical apparatus."
Some people wear such non-corrective colored contacts to change or enhance eye color for cosmetic and fashion purposes.
As these contacts are not for vision correction and medication purposes, they are currently off limits to the country's medical administration and regulators, said a statement published on the website of the State Food and Drug Administration on Thursday.
However, with the increasingly popular use of cosmetic contacts, safety and quality problems due to the regulation loophole are likely to harm consumers' health, and the administration has decided to expand the current medical regulation on contact lenses to cover cosmetic ones, the statement said.
It explained that the administration will soon issue a notice to ban the manufacture and sale of these contacts without proper registration and licenses.
The statement also warned consumers of the risks of these contacts and suggested they carefully choose and use such products.
Tibet through the Lenses--Pious Pilgrims 2011-05-20 16:26
Colored lenses carry risks 2011-08-10 10:23
Waiting for contact 2011-05-06 07:17
Close contact with US continues 2011-06-27 10:31
- Hisense sees net profit up by 16.7% in 2011
- China's Jan new loans at least 900b yuan
- Exchange looks to upgrade to exploit resources
- China Southern to boost capacity by 10 percent to match travel demand
- iPhone launch doesn't break the stratosphere
- Food outlets raise prices as operating costs begin to rise
- China's 2011 fiscal revenue up 24.8%
- Urban jobless rate at 4.1% in 2011