Global EditionASIA 中文双语Français
Soccer
Home / Sports / Soccer

Argentinian football set to remain in recess until June

Xinhua | Updated: 2020-04-05 11:06
General view during the match played behind closed doors as the number of coronavirus cases grows worldwide in Buenos Aires, Argentina, March 15, 2020. [Photo/Agencies]

BUENOS AIRES -- Argentinian President Alberto Fernandez said Saturday that the country's football competitions - halted since March 17 because of the coronavirus outbreak - are unlikely to resume before June.

Fernandez said health experts had predicted that COVID-19 infections in the South American country would continue rising throughout April and May.

"There are certain activities that will suffer more than others from the quarantine. They include football, cinema, theatre," Fernandez told Radio Mitre.

"Football without spectators would allow for some flexibility. But in May? I don't know. May seems to me to be the worst month because it is when we expect the peak and as such we shouldn't encourage the movement of people."

All football competitions in South America have been in recess since mid-March as a precaution against the coronavirus outbreak, which has claimed the lives of more than 64,000 people worldwide.

On Saturday night, Argentina's health ministry reported 1,451 confirmed cases of the virus so far, 43 of which have been fatal.

Most Popular

Highlights

What's Hot
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US