Rockets sign centre Dalembert
Updated: 2011-12-27 09:45
The Houston Rockets recruited the big man they have been looking for when they signed free-agent centre Samuel Dalembert, the NBA team said on Monday.
The Rockets, who made a failed attempt to acquire Pau Gasol from the Los Angeles Lakers, agreed a multi-year contract with the six-foot, 11-inch Haitian-born Canadian just before their season-opening game against the Orlando Magic.
"Samuel is someone we had great interest in signing as a free agent," said Rockets general manager Daryl Morey on the team's website. "He is exactly the rim protector we have been actively pursing and should fit great into Coach McHale's system.
"We're looking forward to him joining the Rockets this season."
Taken in the first round, 26th overall, by Philadelphia in the 2001 draft, Dalembert spent his first eight seasons with the 76ers before being traded to the Sacramento Kings last year. He posted career averages of 8.1 points and 8.3 rebounds per game.
Dalembert finished seven of the last nine seasons ranked among the top 10 in blocked shots.
- Economic growth set to fall next year
- China, Japan keen to improve ties
- Police asked to give family notice of detention
- Former ROK first lady mourns Kim Jong-il
- 2,349 CPC officials violate house rules
- China stresses stable grain production
- Passengers make 290 million air trips in 2011
- TV tower fire culprit gets 20-year jail term