Spain beat Macedonia to reach Eurobasket final
Updated: 2011-09-17 14:09
Pau Gasol (C) of Spain goes to the basket past Damjan Stojanovski (L) of Macedonia during their FIBA EuroBasket 2011 semi-final basketball game in Kaunas September 16, 2011.[Photo/Agencies]
KAUNAS, Lithuania - Holders Spain and France advanced to the European basketball championship final, and qualified for next year's Olympics, by beating Macedonia and Russia respectively on Friday.
The Spaniards, who won their first European title in Poland in 2009, overpowered tournament upstarts Macedonia 92-80 while France, looking for their maiden major championship crown, beat Russia 79-71.
Marc Gasol (L) of Spain is challenged by Predrag Samardziski of Macedonia during their FIBA EuroBasket 2011 semi-final basketball game in Kaunas September 16, 2011. [Photo/Agencies]
- GM-UAW agree on new contract
- NATO hopes to strengthen dialogue with China
- Wen pledges further price regulation measures
- Students claim credit for $11m painting
- UN gives Libya's seat to NTC
- Sinovel denies IPR theft allegation by US firm
- Fair education access for migrants ordered
- For train crash victims, wait for answers goes on