NANCHANG - The fire at a nightclub in East China that killed 12 people and injured six others was caused by fireworks set off in celebration of China's Mid-Autumn Festival, local police said on Thursday.
The fire engulfed the "Bense Jingying" club in Linchuan District of Fuzhou City, Jiangxi Province, on Tuesday night, when about 200 people were celebrating the Mid-Autumn Festival in the 300-square-meter building, a spokesman for the Fuzhou police said.
One of the nightclub managers told the employees to set off fireworks in the hall to create a festive atmosphere only for the decorations made of cotton cloth hanging from ceiling to catch fire, he said.
Most of the people escaped after the fire broke out. The six injured people remain hospitalized, all are stable, he said.
The nightclub is run by several bosses and one of them was among the dead in the fire, he said.
Local authorities have suspended the operation of all Internet cafes, nightclubs and other entertainment venues in the city pending safety checks.
A work team dispatched by the Ministry of Public Security is investigating the accident further.
Related Stories: Nightclub fire kills 12 in East China