Zunsheng Temple sits 20 kilometers north of Shanxi’s Wutai county. It was built in the Sui and Tang dynasties, and was rebuilt in the Song Dynasty(960-1279)as well as the early Republic of China (1912-1949). The temple was mentioned in inscribed tablets from the Kangxi Emperor’s reign in the Qing Dynasty (1661-1722).
The temple has towering ancient trees and magnificent architecture. The Daxiong Palace features a high stylobate and a remarkable style. The Wuliang Palace was made of bricks with delicate sculptures.
The temple covers an area of 32,300 square meters and is the second biggest Buddhism facility in Mount Wutai. It has 350 palaces and more than 390 Buddha figures and was famous for its Dharani Sutra. The temple has a number of large buildings, arranged around a central axis. The layout of the temple is characterized by axial symmetry.
It features exquisite tile carving, and was considered an outstanding representative temple of its kind in the period of the Republic of China.
Copyright © 2014 China Daily All Rights Reserved
Powered by China Daily
Sponsored by the People’s Government of Mount Wutai Scenic Spot