Zhulin Temple sits in the west of Zhulinsi village, six kilometers southwest of Taihuai town, North China’s Shanxi province. It was founded by Fa Zhao, an eminent monk in the Tang Dynasty (AD 618-907).
The temple is famous for having an octagonal stupa, which was built in Hongzhi Emperor's reign in the Ming Dynasty (1488-1505), and was repaired in the reign of Emperor Jiaqing (1796-1820) of the Ming Dynasty. The tower is 25 meters high and consists of five floors, each floor featuring a bracket set and tower eaves, as well as 18 wind bells. One can see far and wide into the distance when standing on top of the tower.
In addition to the brick tower, the temple has a front gate, the Tianwang palace, drum tower, side palace, wing-room, main hall and other buildings. Ennin, an eminent Japanese monk, once paid respects to Buddha at the temple during the Tang Dynasty.
The stele and high tower are relics of Zhulin Temple, which witnessed long-standing friendly exchanges between China and Japan. The front gate, Tianwang palace, drum tower, side palace and main hall were destroyed during the "cultural revolution" (1966-76); but the Chinese government has earmarked funding to replace the temple. There are five Mahavira halls which bask in a solemn atmosphere.
Copyright © 2014 China Daily All Rights Reserved
Powered by China Daily
Sponsored by the People’s Government of Mount Wutai Scenic Spot