21 hospitalized over anthrax contagion
Updated: 2011-08-11 16:24
SHENYANG - Three people have been confirmed to be infected with cutaneous anthrax in northeast China's Liaoning Province, local health authorities said Thursday.
As of 6 pm Wednesday, 21 cases have been reported in the city of Haicheng and Xiuyan County, the Liaoning Provincial Health Department said in a statement.
Three of the cases have been confirmed, while another 18 are still being investigated, according to the statement.
An initial investigation by local health authorities indicated that the patients contracted the disease after coming into direct contact with diseased cattle.
All of the patients have been quarantined and are receiving treatment in a hospital in the province's city of Anshan, according to the statement.
Anthrax is a lethal disease caused by the bacterium bacillus anthracis. It can affect both humans and animals.
- China slows bullet trains to ensure safety
- Asian stocks follow Wall St dip
- Trade surplus rises on export surge
- Japan's PM signals he's ready to quit
- ROK, DPRK exchange artillery fire
- Cameron has lost legitimacy: Libya
- China puts brakes on bullet trains
- China's refitted aircraft carrier starts sea trial