Sacramento void Hayes deal after he fails medical
Updated: 2011-12-20 09:38
The Sacramento Kings cancelled their four-year contract with free agent Chuck Hayes on Monday after he failed a physical.
Kings president Geoff Petrie said the $21.3 million deal had been voided because of medical reasons.
"This morning, in one of the most heartbreaking moments of my professional or personal life, Chuck Hayes was notified that he failed his physical exam with the Sacramento Kings," Petrie said in a statement.
"Subsequent to that, the contract signed on December 9th has been voided. At Chuck's request, we will have no further comment at this time."
The Kings last week revealed that a recent heart exam on Hayes had shown an abnormality but did not provide any more details.
Before becoming a free agent, the 28-year-old had spent the past six seasons playing for the Houston Rockets. Last season, he averaged 7.9 points and 8.1 rebounds a game.
- 70% Chinese pressured by rising prices
- Japan to send troops to South Sudan
- Analysts: Kim's death to have 'limited impact'
- Japan detains Chinese fishing captain
- 18 students injured in E China traffic accident
- Man charged in consulate shooting
- ConocoPhillips: Oil leak impact limited
- Japan picks F-35 as next-generation fighter jet