Vidic injury adds to misery
Updated: 2011-12-09 08:07
FC Basel's (FCB) Marco Streller (L) fights for the ball with Nemanja Vidic of Manchester United during their Champions League Group C soccer match in Basel Dec 7, 2011. [Photo/Agencies]
Sir Alex Ferguson's disappointment was compounded by a knee injury sustained by captain Nemanja Vidic that saw him stretchered off shortly before halftime.
Nemanja Vidic of Manchester United is carried off the pitch after fighting for the ball with FC Basel's Marco Streller during their Champions League Group C soccer match in Basel Dec 7, 2011. [Photo/Agencies]
"What can I say? I'm very proud," said Heiko Vogel, who was appointed Basel coach in October after Thorsten Fink left for Hamburg.
"Tactically, mentally, physically - everything worked right. I'll leave the superlatives to you (the media). I think we deserved the victory. I'm beaming with pride."
The Swiss champions now face the prospect of a last-16 tie against one of the tournament's heavyweights, with holders Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Inter Milan, Arsenal and Chelsea all potential opponents.
- At least 20 killed in fire at Indian hospital
- Collective wage talks promoted
- China's Nov CPI up 4.2%, PPI up 2.7%
- China: No colonial designs on Africa
- Travel rush to start on Jan 8
- 40 years of Ping-Pong Diplomacy
- US turns to WTO on poultry spat with China
- China warns against cancer-fighting medication