Knicks centre joins French club during lock-out
Updated: 2011-10-18 14:03
France's Ronny Turiaf (L) and Spain's Marc Gasol battle for the ball during their friendly match ahead of the upcoming Eurobasket 2011 championships in the southern Spanish city of Almeria Aug 9, 2011. [Photo/Agencies]
"I will be on the plane on Wednesday and I hope to take part in my first training session by the end of the week," Turiaf told the club's website (www.asvelbasket.com).
Turiaf will join San Antonio Spur and three-times NBA champion Tony Parker at ASVEL after Nicolas Batum (Portland Trail Blazers) joined Nancy, Pape Sy (Atlanta Hawks) signed with Gravelines, Ian Mahinmi (Dallas Mavericks) went to Le Havre and Boris Diaw (Charlotte Bobcats) joined second division Bordeaux.
The NBA cancelled the first two weeks of the regular season last week after owners and players were unable to resolve a bitter labour dispute.
NBA Commissioner David Stern warned that the entire season could be in jeopardy if significant progress toward a collective agreement was not make this week.
- S Europe's lost generation stuck in junk jobs
- China's GDP growth slows to 9.1% in Q3
- World population to reach 7 billion
- FM calls for direct talks in sea disputes
- Panda power to heal tsunami wounds
- Wal-Mart China CEO quits after scandal
- Toll highways on slow road to heavy debt
- Palestinian inmates begin leaving Israeli jails