Coca Cola agreed on Monday to pay the medical bills for a man who claimed he got mercury poisoning after drinking a can of Sprite, the Beijing News reported yesterday.
The man became ill after drinking at a restaurant on Nov 7. He was later diagnosed with mercury poisoning.
The remaining cans at the restaurant were taken for further investigation.
Coca Cola said no quality problems were found and the police had not suspended sales. The company agreed to pay the medical bills until blame is determined.