WUHAN - Six people were confirmed dead and two others were hospitalized in a food poisoning case on Sunday in central China's Hubei Province, local government sources said on Monday.
On Sunday noon, eight people, including six adults and two children, had serious symptoms of being poisoned after having some traditional Chinese food - "tangyuan" (stuffed dumpling made partly or wholly of glutinous rice flour served in soup) as their lunch at a waste recycling center.
The six adults are employees of the center and the two children are from their families. However detailed information on them is still unknown.
Two elderly people died on the spot and the rest were sent to the nearby Ganjiachang Hospital, with four others failing to survive after emergency treatment.
The public security officials from Hubei provincial government are investigating the case, and "tangyuan" samples have been collected for investigation.