Al-Qaida linked insurgents killed three American soldiers after capturing
them last month in Iraq, according to a militant video released Monday that
claimed to show footage of the ambush. The video offered no proof for its
This is an image made from video
obtained by the Washington-based SITE Institute showing the identification
cards of Pvt. Byron W. Fouty, 19, of Waterford Township, Mich. and Spc.
Alex R. Jimenez, 25, of Lawrence, Mass. According to the militant video
released Monday, June 4, 2007, Al-Qaida-linked insurgents killed three
American soldiers after capturing them last month in Iraq.
The clip, which was made available to The Associated Press by the
Washington-based SITE Institute, showed confused and jerky night battle scenes,
and later offered close-ups of two identification cards. It did not show the
"The Americans sent 4,000 soldiers looking for them," said an unidentified
voice on the video, which featured the logo of the media production house of the
Islamic State of Iraq. "They were alive and then dead."
The body of one
of the soldiers was found in Iraq's Euphrates River, but the other two remain
missing. Family friends of the missing men said the US military briefed
relatives about the video over the weekend.
The video offered no proof for its claims that the soldiers had been killed
and buried. The voiceover blamed their deaths on "the American Army and their
leaders, who do not care for the feelings of the soldiers' mothers."
"And as you refused to deliver the bodies of our killed people, we will not
deliver the bodies of your dead, and their end will be beneath the ground, Allah
willing," the voice said.
A body found May 23 in the Euphrates River was identified by the US military
as Pfc. Joseph Anzack Jr., 20, of Torrance, Calif. The missing soldiers have
been identified as Spc. Alex R. Jimenez, 25, of Lawrence, Mass., and of Pvt.
Byron W. Fouty, 19, of Waterford, Mich.
The three vanished after their combat team was ambushed May 12 about 20 miles
outside Baghdad. Five others, including an Iraqi, were killed in the ambush,
subsequently claimed by al-Qaida.
The attack triggered a massive search in the area south of Baghdad known as
the "triangle of death" for the rampant insurgent activity there.
Gordon Dibler, Fouty's stepfather, said he was holding out hope for the
soldiers' safe return: "We're praying, and so far, we don't know for certain
that they aren't alive."
At the end of the 10-minute 41-second video, the identification cards of the
two missing soldiers were shown, with the headline: "Bush is the reason of the
loss of your POWs" written on the screen above the cards. SITE, an organization
that monitors terrorist groups, did not say how it obtained the video. A card
belonging to Anzack was not shown.
Along with the identification cards, the footage also showed credit cards,
American and Iraqi money and other personal items that the militants called
There was no immediate word from US officials about the Islamic State of Iraq
The video also showed footage, apparently taken before the ambush, of three
masked men standing around a stand displaying a sketch of the area, mapping out
the attack plan. One of the three men, who were all dressed in black, talked to
the camera and pointed to the sketch. Another stood by him carrying a gun.
"I have urged you to bring me American prisoners," said the man, whose name
was not given but was identified as one of the militant group's leaders.
A Islamic Web site that commonly posts videos from militant groups including
the Islamic State of Iraq said in a banner headline that it would show the video
within hours, but the video has not yet appeared.
After the soldiers disappeared, the Islamic State of Iraq issued Web
statements warning the Americans to call off the hunt "if you want their