ITTF moves Asia Pacific HQ from China to Singapore
Updated: 2011-11-01 09:42
SINGAPORE - The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) has moved its Asia Pacific Headquarters from China to Singapore on Monday.
Adham Sharara, president of ITTF, said it is looking to expand into the region from Singapore and engage new partners.
It is hoping to set up its international marketing headquarters in Singapore in the future, too, local broadcaster Channel NewsAsia quoted the federation as saying.
Sharara said Singapore can expect to leverage the presence of the new headquarters to stage more international events.
Sharara also said China's dominance of the table tennis is "unhealthy" as it leads to, among others, declining media interest.
"A lot of the foreign players, European players, Japanese players and so on, are participating in the league (in China) and playing ... and practising with the players and I think over next two, three years, the level will change for the European players," he said.
- UNESCO grants Palestinians full membership
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits west China
- OECD foresees single-digit growth for China
- China says launch of Shenzhou VIII successful
- President Hu confident in Europe
- Fight will go on despite grant cut
- Food safety complaints more common
- China rebuts US hacking accusations