XI'AN - The death toll from Tuesday's landslide in northwest China's Shaanxi Province has climbed to seven, with two more bodies retrieved on Wednesday, the local government said Thursday.
The landslide struck a village in Baihe County of Ankang City at 3 am Tuesday and buried 17 people from six families under 450,000 cubic meters of debris, said acting county head Chen Hui.
The last two victims, both aged over 80, were found dead at 4 pm Wednesday, said Chen.
He said all 42 families in the village were evacuated due to safety concerns. "They will hopefully come back and move into new homes at the end of the year."
Ankang City has been hit hard by heavy rains recently. Last month, rain triggered floods and landslides left 63 people dead, 119 missing and 2,824 injured.
The city government has ordered closer monitoring of potential geological disasters before the flood season ends in September.