A world-class artistic treasure, Beijing's Temple of Heaven has many stories
behind its architectural charm. Built by Emperor ChengZu in 1420, the Temple of
Heaven was used as a place of worship by a succession of emperors in the Ming
and Qing dynasties (1368-1911). The plain round altar called Huanqiu Hill, was
rebuilt in 1752 during the reign of Qing Emperor Gaozong. The Qiniandian or Hall
of Prayer for Good Harvests was rebuilt in 1890 under Emperor Dezong.
The Temple of Heaven is enclosed by two walls and stretches 1,700 m from east
to west and 1,600 m from north to south. There are square corners in the
southern side and round corners in the northern side, symbolizing the roundness
of heaven. East of the front (west) gate, within the inner wall there is a
zhaigong (fasting-palace) in the south for the emperor to fast and bathe before
worship. Further east is a north-south vertical axis formed by the main
buildings. Huanqiu is in the south with a three-layered stone terrace. Within
the Beiyuan courtyard of Huanqiu is a round hall - the imperial vault where the
spirit tablet of the heavenly god lies. Further north is the Qiniandian Hall
accessed by Danbi Bridge.
Danbi bridge - Beijing's first overpass
Danbi Bridge is actually the main road in the Temple of Heaven and connects
the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest with the Imperial Vault of Heaven. It's 360
m long and 29.4 m wide and ascends from one meter high in the south to three
meters high at the northern end. The increasing height of the bridge has two
meanings: first it represents the course of the emperor "stepping upward toward
heaven"; and it also shows that the road from earth to heaven is long.