NANNING -- Five people were confirmed dead and one more remained missing after a landslide in southwest China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region on Sunday, the rescue headquarters said Monday.
The landslide occurred at around 11:37 a.m. in Fengshan County of Hechi City in northern Guangxi, when about 21,000 cubic meters of rock and soil buried 16 buildings, including at least two homes, said county chief Huang Deyi.
At least two tractors, a car and a motorbike were buried in the rubble as the landslide buried more than 300 meters of a pivotal highway in the county, he said.
A villager said the site of the landslide was a long deserted quarry. "Rocks occasionally fell down the slope during heavy rain, " said a man surnamed Luo. "But we haven't had any rainfall for days. It's strange how such a massive landslide could have occurred."
The local government launched all-out rescue operation immediately after the accident and had retrieved five bodies by 0:15 a.m. Monday, said Xiong Chaofu, the county's deputy chief.
He said the dead, one of whom was a woman, included residents and passers-by.
Xiong said rescuers were still searching for the missing. Meanwhile, more than 60 villagers had been evacuated amid fears of further landslides.
The accident caused six injuries, two of which were critical.