Death toll in N. China landslide hits 260
XIANGFEN, Shanxi -- Rescuers retrieved one more body from a landslide in north China's Shanxi Province on Wednesday afternoon, pushing the death toll in the September 8 tragedy to 260.
A man's body was found at about 5 p.m. at a site 20 meters away from the collapsed iron ore dump, rescuers said.
Lian Zhendong, the rescue headquarters chief, said the search had been continuing since September 8 and would go on. From Tuesday, it was carried out from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily to avoid damage to the bodies at night.
"We will continue the search and do our best to find the missing as early as possible," he said.
An unlicensed iron ore dregs retaining pond burst on the morning of September 8, discharging a huge volume of tailings, mud and rock that engulfed a downstream village with more than 1,000 residents, burying people along with a busy outdoor market.
At present, 34 people remained hospitalized and four patients who had been in critical condition were temporarily upgraded to stable.
An initial investigation found the collapse was due to negligence. The tailings dump was built in violation of regulations and had few safety inspections.