CHINA> Regional
Migrant workers attack police office in E.China
Updated: 2008-07-14 21:50

Hundreds of migrant workers attacked a local police station in east China's Zhejiang Province from Thursday to Saturday, leaving three policemen injured, police told Xinhua on Monday.

Related readings:
 Suspect in Shanghai police stab attack arrested
 Rioters in Shaanxi damage police cars
 Police chief, commissar face dismissal after protest in Guizhou

The incident was caused by a conflict over registering for temporary residence between a migrant worker named Zhang Zhongfu and the police in Yuhuan County.

Zhang, 34, is from southwest China's Sichuan Province and lives in Shuanglong Village of Kanmen town, Yuhuan.

The conflict happened when Zhang went to the police office to register for a temporary residence card on late Wednesday.

"The government employees told me that I could not be registered without my identification card. I quarreled with them and they hit me on my head," Zhang Zhongfu said.

However, the police later announced that after investigation they found  Zhang's wound was caused by bumping his head against the wall while drunk.

Zhang and his fellow workers from the same province felt dissatisfied with the announcement. They thought the police simply took the side of the government employees.

Zhang returned to the register office at 7 p.m. on Thursday and quarreled with the employees. Police came to solve the problem and were surrounded by residents while taking Zhang away.

Some people said they also thought the police were simply taking the side of the government workers. A few even threw rocks at the police.

Three policemen were hurt in the incident, and 23 migrant workers were arrested.

Hundreds of migrant workers gathered in front of the gate of the police station in Kanmen, "asking for an explanation" at 8 p.m. on Friday. They wanted the arrested to be released.

Another gathering happened at 6 p.m. on Saturday. Hundreds of workers gathered to make the same demand.

Police said the incident was now over. No death has been reported so far.