LANZHOU -- Medical experts have found that a sort of bacteria in food had caused the illness of a number of children in northeast China's Gansu Province, local officials said on Sunday.
The number of children hospitalized after they ate meals provided by a kindergarten in Wuwei City had risen to 307 by Friday night.
The food poisoning was caused by diarrhea germina, which is not powerful enough to bring serious result, according to the experts.
The children were in stable conditions, said an official with the health bureau of Wuwei, Gansu Province.
The children at Shiyan Kindergarten in Wuwei City began to suffer vomiting, fever and stomachaches on Wednesday morning and dozens showed similar symptoms in the afternoon.
The Wuwei government said Thursday in a statement that 260 children had been sent to two hospitals.
One teacher with the kindergarten said the children had porridge and buns for breakfast on Wednesday. But experts were not sure if the food the sources of diarrhea germina.
Experts and police are carrying out further investigation into the incident.