26 dead, 8.19m affected in SW China flood
Updated: 2007-07-08 10:27 Floods and landslides triggered by heavy rains
have killed at least 26 people and left 17 missing in southwest China's Sichuan
Province since Monday night, the local government said on Saturday.
disaster has affected 8.19 million people in 43 cites and counties across the
province, it said.
Over the past week, more than 44 reported rainfall
volume exceeding 100 millimeters, with Nanjiang County the highest at 542
In Guang'an, a city in eastern Sichuan, the rain volume
topped 200 millimeters, swelled local rivers and caused flooding of urban
In Quxian County, two-third of its districts were flooded, cutting
water, electricity and gas supply for 183,000 downtown households.
far, 320,000 people in the flood-hit areas have been evacuated to safe places
and the rescue and relief work are still underway.
The flood also
destroyed 20,000 houses and 3.6 million mu (240,000 hectares) crop land.
Meanwhile, traffic was cut on 76 highways and 441 km of electricity supply lines
The total economic loss is estimated at three billion yuan
The provincial meteorological bureau has forecast
further rainstorms in the next week in Bazhong, Guang'an and five other cities
in eastern Sichuan as well as some areas on the western plateau.
neighboring Chongqing Municipality has also suffered from heavy rain since
Wednesday. The municipal meteorological bureau warned the public to be aware of
flood, landslide and mud-rock flow risks.
Meanwhile, forecasters have
warned that the upper reaches of the Huaihe River, which runs through east
China, had reached critical levels.
So far, floods in south, east and
central China had caused more than 200 deaths and destroyed over 110,000 houses
while droughts in the north had left at least 7.4 million people short of
drinking water, according to the flood and drought prevention
|Most Commented/Read Stories in 48 Hours