China on Tuesday called on the six parties to the Korean Peninsula nuclear
talks to fulfil their commitments and make further progress.
"The fund issue of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has
finally been resolved and a new round of intense contacts has started," Chinese
Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said.
"China appreciates the positive stances and constructive efforts of the
parties and hopes they continue to fulfil their commitments and implement
initial actions to push for progress of the Six-Party talks and progress in
achieving a nuclear-free Korean Peninsula," Qin said.
China was communicating and consultating closely with the parties on the next
steps in the talks, Qin told a regular press conference.
The DPRK on Monday announced the dispute with the United States over 25
million U.S. dollars frozen in Macao's Banco Delta Asia had been resolved, and
vowed to start implementing the disarmament deal struck in February.
The financial dispute over the return of the frozen assets held up progress
of the talks for months.
In a related development, a working-level delegation from the International
Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), headed by its deputy director general Olli
Heinonen, arrived in Pyongyang Tuesday to discuss the shutdown of the DPRK's
nuclear facilities at Yongbyon.
Qin said Heinonen would brief China about the visit after he returned to
Beijing on Saturday, but "relevant arrangements are still under discussion".
"China is open to whatever proposals that are conducive to achieving a
nuclear-free Korean Peninsula and peace and stability in northeast Asia," Qin