TAIYUAN -- Chinese police have put 35 people under criminal detention and are
hunting for 20 others involved in the forced labor scandal at illegal brick
kilns in north China's Shanxi Province, a senior official said here on Friday.
Sun Baoshu, deputy minister of labor and social security, said 15 criminal
cases have been put on file for investigation. "We'll resolutely combat rampant
crimes in the forced labor scandal," he said.
Another 24 people have been put under administrative detention and 38 given
security punishment, according to the official.
The central government sent a team of investigators to look into the scandal
that has raised nationwide concerns among the general public.
The scandal hit the headlines after a "call for help" letter was posted on
the Internet earlier this month by more than 400 parents in central Henan
Province, who believed their missing children had been sold to the small brick