Home > Visa

A Brief Introduction to Chinese Visa and the Procedure for Visa Application

Updated : 2017-06-12

A Brief Introduction to Chinese Visa and the Procedure for Visa Application

A Chinese visa is a permit issued by the Chinese visa authorities to an alien for entry into, exit from or transit through China. The Chinese visa authorities may issue a diplomatic, courtesy, service or ordinary visa to an alien according to his status, purpose of visit to China or passport type. Hereunder is an introduction to the ordinary visa and its application procedure:

The ordinary visas consist of eight sub-categories, which are marked with Chinese phonetic letters (D, Z, X, F, L, G, C, J-1 and J-2 respectively).

Visa D is issued to aliens who are to reside permanently in China. In application for Visa D, a permanent residence confirmation form, which may be obtained through application by the applicant or by his/her designated relatives in China from the exit-and-entry department of the municipal or county public security bureau at the place of the applicant’s intended residence.

Visa Z is issued to aliens who are to take up posts or employment in China, and to their accompanying family members. To apply for a Visa Z, an Employment License of the People’s Republic of China for Foreigners (which could be obtained by the employer in China from the provincial or municipal labor authorities) and a visa notification letter/telegram issued by an authorized organization or company are required.

Visa X is issued to aliens who come to China for study, advanced studies or intern practice for a period of six months or more. To apply for a Visa X, certificates from the receiving unit and the competent authority concerned are required, i.e., Foreign Student Visa Application Form (JW201 or JW202), Admission Letter and Physical Examination Certificate for Foreign Citizens.

Visa F is issued to aliens who are invited to China on a visit, on a study or lecture, business tour, for scientific-technological and cultural exchanges, for short-term advanced studies or for intern practice, for a period of no more than six months. To apply for a Visa F, the invitation letter from the inviting unit or the visa notification letter/telegram from the authorized unit is required.

Visa L is issued to aliens who come to China for sightseeing, visiting relatives or other private purposes. For a tourist applicant, in principle he shall evidence his financial capability of covering the traveling expenses in China, and when necessary, provide plane, train or ship ticket(s) to the country (region) after leaving China. For the applicants who come to China to visit relatives, some are required to provide invitation letters from their relatives in China.

Visa G is issued to aliens who transit through China. The applicant is required to show a valid visa for entering the country (region) of destination, or connecting tickets.

Visa C is issued to train attendants, air crewmembers and seamen operating international services, and to their accompanying family members. To apply for a visa C, relevant documents shall be provided in accordance with bilateral agreements or regulations of the Chinese Government.

Visa J-1 is issued to foreign resident correspondents in China.

Visa J-2 is issued to foreign correspondents who make short trip to China on reporting tasks. The applicant for J-1 and J-2 visas is required to provide a certificate issued by the competent Chinese authorities.

In addition to providing the above-mentioned documents, an applicant shall also provide such pertinent information as requested and complete the following procedures (with the exception of those stipulated otherwise by agreements):

● Present a valid passport or replacement certificate;

● Fill in a visa application form and submit a recent two-inch half-length, bareheaded and full-faced photos;

● Pay the visa fee.

The overseas Chinese visa authorities are Chinese embassies, consulates, visa offices, the consular department of the Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in HKSAR, and other agencies abroad authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China. If an alien intends to enter into, exit from or transit through the Chinese territory, he shall apply to the above-mentioned Chinese visa authorities for a Chinese visa. For further information, please consult the nearest Chinese visa authorities.


International students experience city glamor

IoT expo displays latest technologies in Wuxi

In pics: Take comfort from clear blue sky

Exhibition marks PRC's 70th anniversary

Development Zones
Biz Updates
In focus
Useful Info
Government Officials
Sister Cities
Copyright © 2017 China Daily. All rights reserved.
Sponsored by Wuxi Municipal Party Committee Information Office.
Presented by China Daily.