简体中文版|APP版

Home> Sights

The West Lake Park in Leizhou

Updated: 2014-12-16

Previously known as Luohu, the West Lake Park in Leizhou is located in the northwestern corner of the ancient Leizhou town, and covers an area of more than 90,000 square meters. In the first year of the Qianxing Reign (1022) in the Song Dynasty (960-1279), Kou Zhun (961-1023), a well-known politician, was demoted to Leizhou and lived in a residence by the lake. Ever since then, quite a few celebrities lived or visited here. In the fourth year of the Shaosheng Reign of Emperor Zezong of the Song Dynasty (1097), Su Shi, a well-known politician and litterateur, was demoted from Huizhou to Danzhou. He and his brother Su Zhe went boating on the lake in the evening, and appreciated the moon there. In the West Lake Park there are many historic sites, such as the Sugong Pavilion, the Shrine of Ten Sages, the Laiquan Well and the Dragon King Temple. The monumental archway stands in the willows, beside the bridges and the winding corridors. There is a large amusement park as well!

The West Lake Park in Leizhou
The West Lake Park in Leizhou

The lake and the Tianning Temple, which was first built in the Tang Dynasty (618-907) complement each other. The ancient temple was dubbed the "Best Temple in Wanshan" for the beautiful scenery the lake provides. Yuan Maomei, a successful candidate in the highest imperial civil service examination during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), wrote eight poems about the lake and its bank, the pavilion, boats, the field, fish, the moon and the rain. The poem of the pavilion in the West Lake is among the best of the eight.

Address: No 37, Xihu Avenue, Leicheng, Leizhou, Zhanjiang

Tel: 0759-8813533

8.03K