简体中文版|APP版

Home> Sights

The Sanyuan Tower Park in Leizhou

Updated: 2014-12-16

Located on the Qujie Street, Leicheng township near the former South Gate of the Leicheng Inner Town, the Sanyuan Tower Park covers an area of about 30,000 square meters. Inside the park stands the Sanyuan Tower, a famous cultural relic under the protection of the Guangdong provincial government, thus the name of the Park.

The gate of the Park is in the style of a monumental archway, which is made up of a red top, four pillars and three marble houses. The whole park is divided into two parts; with the front part serving as the sporting and recreational area and the rear part as the scenery area featuring cultural relics.

The Sanyuan Tower Park in Leizhou
Sanyuan Tower  Photo by Li Musheng

The construction of the Sanyuan Tower started at the beginning of the 41st year (1613) of the Wanli Reign of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) and ended in 43rd year (1615) of the Wanli Reign of the Ming Dynasty. It was first named "Wenqui Tower" and is also known as the "Qixiu Tower". The construction workers found three snake eggs when they were laying the foundation of the tower, thus the name "Sanyuan Tower"(meaning three new life). Facing the west, the Tower is a brick and wood structure and the protruding eaves consist of different kinds of bricks. The inside tower is a 17-story structure measuring 57 meters high. The tower base is made up of pedestals similar to that of the Buddha's statue. There are altogether 23 carved stone pieces, which have bold unconstrained lines and vividly carved images. The Tower is a hollowed structure, so tourists can walk up the stairs to get a better view of the ancient town.

There are the Two Scholars' Shrine, which honors two scholars in Leizhou during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911); Chen Bin famous for his honesty and uprightness and Chen Changqi famous for his erudition.

Address: Baisha Township, Leizhou, Zhanjiang

Tel: 0759-8717031

8.03K